We are a small, happy family of four. My husband, a baby, a dog and me. My husband works on a yacht. A large, luxury megayacht which tends to be based in some fairly fabulous places. The thing is, where the boat goes, we go! When she was was just eight weeks old our daughter, Coco, boarded her first trans-Atlantic flight and since then we haven't stopped. This is a blog of our rather unusual yet adventurous life. No two days are the same.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Mojito

My first mojito since finding out I was pregnant and it was completely joyous! Not only was it one of the most delicious mojitos ever, but it was drunk on South Beach, in the sunshine, accompanied with an enormous American burger, on Valentines day, with my gorgeous husband.... oh, and my brother-in-law!

Only kidding Marcus, we loved having you around this weekend. Poor Marcus thought that he was coming to live it up in Miami and ended up sleeping on a sofa bed in our studio apartment. Yep, all three of us and the baby in one room. It was like going back to our backpacking days. However, Marcus insisted he slept better than in his corporate hotels and we loved having him so nobody's complaining.
This is our last night in Miami. I am fully 'Deco'ed' up and, I have to say, I would definitely come back here. Next time, I have visions of staying in the Hotel Victor on South Beach, bringing glamorous, sparkly dresses, and drinking cocktails in the super-cool bars with the jellyfish (one of the hotel bars had an aquarium of jellyfish that looked like a lava lamp). However, this time, I was very happy to wander the streets in my trainers with Coco in the buggy. I feel like I have got my bearings in Miami now. Next time I can hit the ground running.
Highlights of this trip were:
South Beach (I will never be cool enough for South Beach)
Art Deco Walking Tour (Really interesting, highly recommended. I love hearing the stories that your guidebook doesn't tell you.)

The Museum of South Florida (Florida has had quite a dramatic time over the past couple of centuries.)
Lincoln Rd Mall (Great for sitting in a cool cafe and people watching. Books and Books is a fab local shop, I'll leave you to guess what it is selling!)
Miami Beach Boardwalk (Great walk with the ocean on one side and all the posh hotels on the other.)

I didn't make it to Little Havana this time, that experience will have to wait.
I can't get over how Coco is taking this all in her stride. We moved to a hotel today so that is two hotels, two houses and two flights in the last four weeks but she is completely unphased. I'm not sure my feathers are quite so unruffled. The move today seemed hard and exhausting. It is the little things that you don't think about at home that just feel slightly more difficult. An example was trying to get all the washing done before packing and checking out this morning. You have to find change for the machines, you can't leave the machines unmanned... bla bla bla. It really isn't that much of a drama, everything is just not quite straight forward and today it got to me. Maybe I feel bad today because I was rushing around and took my eye off Coco for a second and she rolled off the bed... again. That's the second time I've done that. I feel so terrible and such a crap Mummy. I will not leave her on the bed ever again.
I'm going to sign off from Miami and will speak to you all from Fort Lauderdale.

1 comment:

  1. Loving this blog Louisa, feel like we are there with you! Re: Rolling off the bed, both my two have done it many a time and its character building for both you and them!! Not done them any harm so far! Enjoy Fort Lauderdale! x Kathryn

    ReplyDelete