We are a small, happy family of four. My husband, a baby, a dog and me. My husband works on a yacht. A large, luxury megayacht which tends to be based in some fairly fabulous places. The thing is, where the boat goes, we go! When she was was just eight weeks old our daughter, Coco, boarded her first trans-Atlantic flight and since then we haven't stopped. This is a blog of our rather unusual yet adventurous life. No two days are the same.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Short But Sweet

I love our life, I really do. We get to see all of these fabulous places, make lots of new friends (yes, I am making some friends now!) and we are at least in the same country as each other but sometimes it feels like we are grabbing little pockets of time together here and there. Angus was back from a trip on Tuesday and then gone today, we had barely drawn breath and he was packing his bag again. Such is the life we choose.


It didn't help that yesterday was, shall we say, a little fuggy. When will I learn that mid-week drinking is never the best idea but mid-week drinking with a 10 month (nearly 11 month!) old is definitely NOT a good idea. With the end of a charter there generally tends to be a few celebratory drinks so Coco and I met Angus from work for a cocktail. Well, when has 'a cocktail' ever really meant 'a cocktail'? Three Bellini's later and Coco has been put to bed in her buggy and we are on a roll! A fine example of responsible parenting?!


Luckily, a swimming lesson yesterday morning helped to clear my head and I was ready to face the day.

We have had a serious change of weather on this side of the Atlantic, having seen no rain (other than the odd 5 minute downpour) for six weeks the last 48 hours have been wet, wet, wet. This offered me the excuse for some home time and the opportunity to perfect my sugar-free fruit muffin recipe. This is my third batch now and Coco absolutely loves them. They are a delicious, guilt-free snack and great for when you are out and about. She is even allowed them at nursery as they qualify as being healthy enough. So it is time to share it with you. For those dairy-free cooks amongst you, I have made them with and without the milk an they are equally as yummy.



Mama Lou Lou's Fruit Muffins


1 cup self-raising flour (or 1 cup plain flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda)
1 egg
1 ripe banana mashed (I've used 2 when they needed using up and makes them lovely and sweet)
1 large apple peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup oil (use a veg based oil. I have used veg, olive and sunflower and all work just as well)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tbsp milk


- Heat oven to 180 C
- Whisk together the egg and oil
- Mix the flour, cinnamon, chopped apple and sultanas in a large bowl
- Add and egg/oil and mashed banana to the flour and mix carefully
- Add the milk (if using milk)
- Bake for 15 - 20 mins


I make mini-muffins as they are a better snack size for Coco and the above recipe makes about 20. They freeze really well too!


Enjoy! x

6 comments:

  1. Just found you via Blow your own Blog-Horn. What an exciting life... and you still find time to cook muffins. I'm certainly a new follower and look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome - exciting yes but there is always time for muffin making! Good to have you on board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an amazing life!! So do you rent a home in the same town where your hubby's boat is moored??? Does he look after super rich boating types? Can't wait to hear more about your exploits. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes and yes - we are getting very good at packing but there is still a lot of room for improvement! We are observers of a completely different world, there is some serious money out there. My husband and I spend many an hour thinking up get rich quick schemes, no success as of yet! Thank you for following our updates. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Groan, a hangover with a baby is just TOO big an investment. Those muffins look like they might help a little, though?

    Found you via Blow Your Blog Horn and I'm glad I did. I love that you are living such a different life to me. Sailing. So romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I KNOW - isn't it?! Why is it that I feel so terribly bad after just a couple of glasses of wine nowadays? Surely I wasn't always such a lightweight? Lovely to meet you. I had no idea that there was such a community out here in the land of blog - very exciting!

    ReplyDelete