We are a small, happy family of four. My husband, a baby, a dog and me. My husband works on a yacht. A large, luxury megayacht which tends to be based in some fairly fabulous places. The thing is, where the boat goes, we go! When she was was just eight weeks old our daughter, Coco, boarded her first trans-Atlantic flight and since then we haven't stopped. This is a blog of our rather unusual yet adventurous life. No two days are the same.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

We're Back!

Hello All,
We are back after a brief trip home (it probably seemed more brief than it actually was), but we're on the move again and experiencing yet more new parts of the world. This time we are based in Newport, Rhode Island,USA. Other than passing through for literally 24 hours last year, this is a first for me and so far so good.

The flight out was complete luxury for no other reason that the fact there was an extra pair of hands - thank you for coming along Mums.

I was a bit nervous about our home for the summer, I had made a decision based on a few photos which had made the place look tiny, so it was a huge relief to discover that the house is actually gorgeous. It is small, but not as small as expected, and it is clean, comfortable, well equipped, beautifully decorated and generally an overall lovely place to be. Angus and I have an ongoing competition to see who manages to find the best accommodation - I didn't think I was going to beat the brilliant Antigua house that he found us but this certainly gives it a run for its money. So one all me thinks.

Our first week was a bit of a tourist gaunt and we enjoyed having Mum with us to do some sight-seeing. In just a week we fitted in Nantucket (my best day yet - beautiful island and has made me want to read Moby Dick), Boston and Newport. Not only that but we ate lobster, clam chowder and drank cocktails watching the sun go down over Newport Harbour... life is tough I tell you!


This week has been much more normal. Angus is off doing his Celestial Navigation course so we are trying to find our feet and get settled for the summer. Our calendar is filling up with 'Moms Groups', Baby Gym, Playgroup and swimming. I might even fit in a bit of spinning for myself and, oh yes, work!

I went to a 'Moms Meet-up' this morning. Excited about meeting some new people I set out early only to get there and find no other Mums, um, there is something wrong there. It did however lead me to discover the delightful village of Wickford. An old (by American standards) harbour town with leafy streets lined with traditional clapper-board houses that include the epitome of Americaness - a front porch! Some even had rocking chairs on them! Coco and I sat and enjoyed a cup of tea in the sunshine on the waterfront whilst watching the world go by. Not quite the Mummy friend making I was expecting but lovely nevertheless. 

Unfortunately, by the time we got home Coco's temperature had soared again, it has been a problem for the last couple of days, high temperature after 3pm. Poor thing. I think it might be time to see a doctor, just for peace of mind.

My mantra for the next few days is 'I will blog, I will blog, I will blog', hopefully making regular updates part of our daily routine or at least a few times a week. So on that note... speak soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment