We are a small, happy family of four. My husband, a baby, a dog and me. My husband works on a yacht. A large, luxury megayacht which tends to be based in some fairly fabulous places. The thing is, where the boat goes, we go! When she was was just eight weeks old our daughter, Coco, boarded her first trans-Atlantic flight and since then we haven't stopped. This is a blog of our rather unusual yet adventurous life. No two days are the same.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Load of Cobblers

At the beginning of this week I didn't think we were going to make it back to the US. I was feeling so rough that the idea of packing up and getting on a seven and a half hour flight with an 11 month old baby filled me with absolute dread. However with the help of Grandma Paintpot, who drove us to the airport, and Grandma Flowerpot, who flew out with us, we have made it and it actually wasn't too bad. Coco and I are still ill which isn't so good. We are functioning but slowly, a bit uncomfortably and with the help of four hourly drug cycles. Unfortunately, as I waved Angus off on a week long trip this morning and he was complaining of a sore throat. Whoops - sorry love.

We have managed to squeeze a fair bit into the time we have been back despite blocked noses. Our discovery of the week was Sweet Berry Farm (www.sweetberryfarmri.com) - a delightful PYO farm, cafe and shop just outside Newport. On a scorching hot day it was blissful to be out in the countryside enjoying a delicious lunch in an environment that just felt healthy. Some places are like that don't you think? You can't quite place your finger on it but it is rustic yet clean, homemade yet professional, laid-back yet organized. We have somewhere at home called Pythouse Kitchen Garden (www.pythouse-farm.co.uk) which I absolutely love and it reminds me very much of there. Not as 'English' obviously but the same 'shabby-chic'.

After our yummy lunch (baby spinach, asparagus, pine nut, sun-dried tomato, sweetcorn and mozzarella wrap!) we ventured out into the orchards to pick our own peaches and blueberry's. I have never picked either fruit straight from the tree before and it was quite a thrill to see the peach trees laden with fruit. To pick something straight from the tree and take a refreshing bit was simply lovely. It somehow felt very rejuvenating.




Needless to say, we now have an enormous amount of peaches and blueberries to get through so last night I made a Peach Cobbler for dessert. I haven't done this before and combined several different recipes I found online to finish with the one I will share with you now. It was so easy and so delicious I might just have to make it again in a few days time!

Peach Cobbler for G-Flowerpot


3 fresh peaches sliced
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
5 slices of bread (brown or white)
115g butter melted
150g sugar
2 heaped tablespoons of self-raising flour
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence 


- Lay the sliced peaches over the bottom of a square oven proof dish measuring about 25cm across
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the peaches
- Cut the crusts off the bread and cut in to quarters then 'tile' over your fruit leaving no gaps
- Beat the remaining ingredients together and pour over your dish spreading the topping equally to cover the bread
- Back in a preheated oven at 175 degrees C for about 40 mins until the top is golden brown

I could only get hold of some squirty cream last night (which I haven't had since I was a child and I don't think I have ever bought!) which was fine but it would be delicious with vanilla ice-cream.

Finally, I am going to to have a baby-brag. Not only does Coco do me proud with her amazing behaviour on all the long-haul flights we make her endure (this was her ninth!) but she has added to her first year achievements by officially walking! Having done nothing much since those initial first steps she now totters about the kitchen like a pro. Video to follow shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment