We are a small, happy family of four. My husband, a baby, a dog and me. My husband works on a yacht. A large, luxury megayacht which tends to be based in some fairly fabulous places. The thing is, where the boat goes, we go! When she was was just eight weeks old our daughter, Coco, boarded her first trans-Atlantic flight and since then we haven't stopped. This is a blog of our rather unusual yet adventurous life. No two days are the same.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Pinch Myself

This is what I have to do sometimes. Just pinch myself to check this life is real. Am I this lucky? I was driving back from Nantucket a few days ago having taken a day-trip there with my Mother-in-Law. Angus has been working away this week but the boat was going to be visiting this historical island for a couple of days and I don't have to be asked twice to go on a day-trip there. It is beautiful and I am a little obsessed with the whole whaling history - I just find it fascinating.

Anyway, I digress, we had a fabulous day on the island made famous by Herman Melville's 'Moby Dick', with a boat trip, delicious lunch, a couple of hours with Angus and a look around the Museum of Whaling. I was driving home with Coco fast asleep in the back, Grandma Flowerpot dozing next to me and the most stunning sunset-sky ahead of me when I was suddenly hit with an overwhelming sense of well-being.

I didn't dream in a million years I would have ended up marrying my best friend. I feel so completely loved and adored by him and I hope he knows I feel exactly the same way too. To top it off, we now have this edible little girl who just makes my heart sing. So what that we don't own a house. Who cares that we live out of a bag most of the time. It doesn't matter that we aren't together 24/7. Is it important that my career isn't quite where I hoped it would be? There is still time to make all of these things happen and I really believe that it all will. There is no reason why we can't have it all. I realise it isn't always like this, but when it is, isn't it important to stand back, take stock and say "thank you"? Ah - big sigh. Very happy. Lucky, lucky me, I treasure every moment of this precious life.

We have wracked up the miles this week. Not only did we cover Nantucket but also managed a fleeting visit to Vermont where we ate enormous amounts of maple syrup and Western Massachusetts where we learned all about the Shakers. I need to do a separate post to really do justice to this road-trip so watch this space. Vermont diaries to follow shortly.

I wish you all happy moments this week xx

Video below as promised.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely, lovely post. I love that you have to 'pinch yourself' to make sure your life is real. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very good place to be! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww, so cute!!!!! What a sweetheart! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. just popped over from 'blow your own blog horn'. What an amazing life you lead and what great opportunities for your little girl. Fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post. Sounds like you're having a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete